Wednesday 31 August 2011

Make It Monday #30 - Colored Pencils

This is my first ever challenge card! I've never been able to the challenges on forums and PTI due to time restraint and not having enough gear (now I have vaguely enough to improvise things!).

I saw this week's Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday challenge using colouring pencils and decided it was time I give it a go!

I have already been thinking of using colouring pencils for a long time now. Since I don't have any Copic markers yet, I was going to improvise with my good old Crayola Colored Pencils for my Tiny Treats sets which have yet to see ink.

However, I've fallen in love with Scattered Showers (as many of you have already figured out)!

I live by "keep it simple" rule and have always loved to keep my cards fairly simple looking. I can never hold too many things on my card - my imaginative capacity can't hold it all in!



I made a die cut using the PTI coasters - I think because of the thickness, it adds a tad more depth to the card. And the coasters have that sort of rustic cream colour to them so it goes really well with the Kraft cardstock.
I've coloured in the umbrella after stamping the outlines with the Scattered Showers set.
    
I also went and did a rough colouring of the background. It was just total random sketching with about 6 or 7 different shades of blue & green. Afterwards, I saw too many sharp pencil marks and didn't like the way it wasn't quite blended in, so got my eraser and went over it very very lightly to blend things (bad erasers are good for this sort of job). It also smudges it a little.
   
I think Jennifer used some baby oil for blending the colours, but I made this before watching the video. So if you haven't any baby oil, you have an alternative. Great thing about erasers is that you can rub off the colouring pencils entirely like I did over the sentiment.


This photo probably shows the texture of the background colouring (and the subtle texture of the coaster) a bit better. And I love my yellow umbrella. I think it reinforces the "sunshine" part of the sentiment <3

Thanks for coming by!


SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
 STAMPS: PTI Scattered Showers
INK: PTI Vintage Touch Tea Dye Duo, SU! Early Espresso
PAPER: PTI Kraft cardstock
OTHER: PTI Coaster, Crayola Colored Pencils (48), Scor-Buddy

11 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

Cute card. i do like the color combinations. The background coloring is a great rendition of the rain. Love it! I also like the shading on the umbrella; beautiful job.

Kristen :-) said...

Euna- this is just wonderful! I love the background coloring! Your umbrella is flawless!

Jen Adcock said...

Um..er, um...WOW! Crazy cool! I love the joyful simplicity of this card. The pencilled in rain is fab-U-lous! Brava!

Judy said...

Beautiful card Euna - I was drawn to your card instantly when I saw it on Nicole's blog. Using the coaster for die cutting, excellent idea - thank you for the tip.

Kitty said...

indeed you are right it is like a little sunny brolly! cute!

Gina said...

Euna, this is so beyond adorable!!! I love it!!!!!

Mad for Paper said...

Absolutely beautiful Love the background. You do simple perfectly.
TFS
Ang

Joyce said...

This is so great. I fell in love with those umbrellas, too, but haven't had a chance to use them. I just love the sunny yellow with the cloudy feel of the rest of the card. And, I, too, love simple! You have such a great style. I'm so glad you jumped into blogland.

Anne said...

Your card is amazing! The sunny umbrella against the stormy background is inspired, love the simple layout and your colouring is just fab!!

Anne x

BTW, thanks for your kind comment on my blog :)

Karen Veneracion Flores said...

Ooohhh, I'm digging this. Great idea using the colored pencils to create the background.

Suzanne Russell said...

I love what you did with this card. Reminds me of the random coloring with Copics from a previous MIM. This is a great way to use pencils, too! I have the Scattered showers stamps and die but have never used them- You have certainly inspired me! Thanks :)